HEAD OF PEOPLE, SHUJAAZ INC
- 19 May 2022
We are Shujaaz Inc, a network of social ventures based in Nairobi, Kenya. We believe this generation of young people can transform our global society for the better – that’s why we work to break down barriers so that young shujaaz (heroes) can take control of the future.
Our Emmy-award-winning team of 60 young East Africans runs our three social ventures; our multimedia youth platform Shujaaz, East Africa’s biggest youth brand; Hustla MBA, our peer-to-peer training venture and MESH, the first online community for entrepreneurs in the informal economy.
Our social ventures inspire, entertain and mobilise 9.5 million young people across East Africa, engaging 71% of 15-24-year-olds in Kenya. Our network connects young people with the information, skills, and opportunities they need to take control; embedding them in a digital and real-world community that gives them the self-belief to succeed, in their context and on their terms.
Summary of the role
This is a varied, dynamic role leading our team culture and performance as a pivotal part of the Senior Leadership Team at Shujaaz Inc. This role sits across our network, supporting the management teams of our distinct social ventures – from supporting the development of the 40+ team at our established, donor-funded multi-media venture ‘Shujaaz’, to helping to grow the team at our new social business start-up venture ‘MESH’.
The Head of People will act as a champion for the company culture across our network of ventures and will work with the leadership team on organizational development initiatives as well as support them to develop and grow as leaders.
Your role will be key in driving recruitment of the best talent, designing & implementing programs that drive a high-performance culture as well as strengthening the employee value proposition.
- Work with MDs to create and implement a People and Culture Strategy aligned to the respective Company’s Strategic Objectives to achieve its business strategy.
- Work with the senior management to drive cultural initiatives and ensure our values are lived throughout the organization.
- Manage, review and maintain a well-being plan for staff and prioritise health, safety and the mental health and welfare of the team, whether working remotely or in the office.
- In partnership with leaders ensure people management issues are addressed on time and effectively.
- Improve, develop, and ensure implementation of policies & procedures enabling the organization’s human resources to run smoothly through ever more efficient processes that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the company.
- Advise and ensure compliance with laws and regulations pertaining to human resources
- Provide valuable HR reports, data and insights to enable appropriate decision making for the business.
- Lead and work with the leadership team on recruitments to ensure the ventures attract a diverse pipeline of excellent candidates.
- Drive performance management process, ensuring its effectiveness and that managers are implementing the process effectively.
- Create and implement a learning and development strategy that is aligned with the objectives of the organization. Carrying out a learning needs analysis and managing the development budget.
- As part of creating a great employee experience, continually monitor our team’s morale and engagement to ensure happiness and retention.
- Take responsibility for the HR and Admin budget
- Work as a business partner providing support, coaching and mentoring to the team
This role reports to the Managing Directors of the ventures and is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR?
Experience – We seek an individual with the below skills and attributes;
- At least 8 years of relevant job experience
- Bachelor’s degree in HR or relevant field, a relevant HR certification (CHRP) and HR practising certificate
- Implemented and managed a diverse range of HR processes: culture initiatives, recruitments, performance management, compensation, and more
- Ability to comfortably switch between day-to-day tasks and long-term planning
- Ability to think strategically and focus on implementation
- Well-developed leader, strong interpersonal skills, communicator and a strong team player
- Ability to coach and support others whilst challenging them to perform.
- Have the confidence to challenge and influence people at all levels of the organisation.
- Expert knowledge base in HR-related functions such as regulations, salaries, labour laws and compliance.
Interested? Apply through our website/careers page by 1st June 2022.