- 12 Feb 2024
‘’Wewe ni msee passionate kwa ku-create ma-design na ma-visuals kali-kali, zenye zina bring stories to life, na pia kwa kujenga brands za nguvu zenye zina-improve life za mavijana? Habari ndio hii, Shujaaz inasaka mtu ako na talent noma wa ku-join team yetu ya creatives kama Art Lead’’
We are Shujaaz, an International Emmy Award-winning team of young East African creatives, researchers, and strategists who make media that helps young people take control of their futures.
Our digital dramas, comic books, events, and social content connect young people with the knowledge, self-belief, and inspiration they need to imagine the future they want – and the support to make it happen.
Today, Shujaaz is one of East Africa’s biggest youth brands and one of the world’s most successful media for social change programmes. In a world that too often leaves young people feeling powerless, Shujaaz helps young people take control.
The Job: Art Lead
Reporting to Shujaaz Inc Media Manager, the Art Lead will be responsible for bringing our brand to life in all visual outputs by developing and maintaining a coherent and consistent creative vision that captures youth trends while combining artistic sensibilities and understanding with the knowledge of design and production processes to create compelling visual design approaches, styles and techniques that blend storytelling and innovative imagery to translate media strategies into exciting and engaging creative campaigns and outputs that delight fans and help to define our relationship with them. You will focus on the creation of dynamic visual designs for all Shujaaz media (video, print, online etc), coordinating a team of Kenya’s leading illustrators and designers, communicating feedback and guidance to ensure our characters and story-worlds are authentic and high-quality.
Your Role in the Spotlight
- Elevate our visual brand by developing a cohesive and unified visual language and establishing standards and guidelines for creating and implementing creative concepts and outputs, including rules and regulations to govern the use of imagery, colour, typography and other aesthetic elements that bring our brand to life
- Direct the creative development and execution of design projects and assignments by managing all visual aspects from concept to completion, setting the general artistic tone and maintaining a clear and consistent creative vision while balancing practical execution constraints
- Supervise and work closely with designers, illustrators, photographers, set decorators and other artists to guide the development of visual assets for use across all analogue and digital media including online and offline publications, social media content, events branding and merchandise
- Collaborate with cross-functional departments to help translate business, research and program objectives into high-quality visual designs and media content that is innovative, compelling and exciting while ensuring strict adherence to processes and timelines
- Conceptualize and execute creative campaigns in close collaboration with writers, producers and community managers, obtaining team approval of outputs, and coordinating resources and activities with various vendors to ensure their quality production and timely delivery
- Perform frequent creative audits to identify opportunities for improvement, and propose and create the necessary processes and tools to support effective design operations
- Stay up to date on design and industry trends, evolving with best practices, and develop, pitch and implement new design ideas to ensure that all aspects of our brand and media remain fresh, relevant and align with the needs of our fans
Who You Are: Skills and Superpowers
- Analytical and comfortable working with industry standard design, wireframing and office software applications e.g. Adobe, Figma, Microsoft Office etc.
- Ability to multi-task and oversee workflow in order to meet deadlines while prioritizing multiple complex assignments and maintaining records.
- Confident in ability to translate creative strategy into visual design across multiple mediums
- Strong research skills, with the ability to gather and synthesize information from diverse sources to fill gaps in knowledge and aid the delivery of outputs.
- Knowledge of creative processes and techniques in film, digital and print media production
- Generally innovative and passionate about storytelling and making a positive impact on the lives of young people
Requirements That Shine Bright
- At least 4 years’ experience in a creative industry and 1 year managing teams.
- Strong campaign ideation, art direction and graphic design skills.
- Ability to plan, schedule, edit and produce required activity plans, reports and other outputs.
- Ability to conceive, design and build creative strategies and frameworks to support delivery.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present feedback and ideas in a compelling, clear, and concise manner.
- Self-starter, reliable, and passionate about your work; committed to your creative discipline and its challenges.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including in Swanglish.
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field as well as sound knowledge of project management best practices with experience in planning, budgeting, objective setting, and monitoring are a plus.
How to Join
Are you excited to be part of Shujaaz’s mission? Then please send us your Portfolio along with your CV and a cover letter or cover video.
Send your application to email@example.com with Shujaaz Art Lead as the subject of your email. Applications will be received on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Shujaaz Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, marital status, gender identity, or physical or mental disability. We believe in creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion and strives to recruit a diverse slate of candidates to help us achieve that goal.