USER RESEARCHER, MESH
- 8 Jun 2022
We are Shujaaz Inc, a network of social ventures based in Nairobi, Kenya. We believe this generation of young people can transform our global society for the better – that’s why we work to break down barriers so that young shujaaz (heroes) can take control of the future.
Our Emmy-award winning team of 60 young East Africans run our three social ventures; our multimedia youth platform Shujaaz, East-Africa’s biggest youth brand; Hustla MBA, our peer-to-peer training venture and MESH, the first online community for entrepreneurs in the informal economy.
Our social ventures inspire, entertain, and mobilise 9.5 million young people across East Africa, engaging 71% of 15-24-year-olds in Kenya. Our network connects young people with the information, skills, and opportunities they need to take control; embedding them in a digital and real-world community that gives them the self-belief to succeed, in their context and on their terms.
What is MESH
MESH is a new venture, part of the Shujaaz inc network. We are an online community for serious young people in biz.
Mesh is the first online community for entrepreneurs in the informal economy. Every year, millions of young people enter the job market with little hope of finding formal employment. In Kenya, less than 10% of this year’s 1 million school leavers will get a white-collar job. As a result, aspirations are turning to small businesses in the informal economy. Young people are becoming entrepreneurs – and they have incredible potential. They earn double that of their peers, create work for others, and are responsible for 41% of Africa’s GDP. They engage in society more too. They’re 79% more likely to use financial services, 29% more likely to save, and more likely to vote. Despite this, they face significant barriers. Their networks are limited, loans are out of reach, and they aren’t able to access useful relevant training.
Mesh is changing things. Launched in 2021, it’s the first online community for entrepreneurs in the informal economy. We already host over 100,000 MESHERS and we are set to scale. We connect members, create opportunities, and unleash the shared value in data to drive stronger economies and stronger social cohesion. Through MESH, millions more young people can take control of their future.
Our target audience is young people (18-35 years old) in the informal sector who are managing multiple hustles – e.g., selling secondhand clothes, selling fruit and veg, photography, online influencer – and are trying to grow their micro-business. They are digitally savvy smartphone users.
MESH product team is currently looking for a superstar User Researcher to join the team. At MESH, we use a user-centred design approach to develop our product. We are passionate about understanding the true problems our MESHers face in starting and growing their micro-business(es) so that we create solutions that effectively address their needs, and translate into high acquisition and retention rates in our community.
User research is embedded throughout the product development cycle, from conducting initial user research at the beginning of a sprint to validating users’ needs and behaviours, defining a user problem, ideating solutions, prototyping (turning ideas into UI mock-ups) and testing with users.
The User Researcher will be a core member of the product team, reporting to the product management team, and working closely with the UX designer, UI designer and the technology team, to lead all user research activities, using a range of methods as needed based on the research objectives, including but not limited to user interviews, focus group discussions, surveys, concept testing, usability testing etc. The User Researcher will also actively contribute to developing the skills of the rest of the team in user research and building a user-obsessed culture.
- Develop, implement, and own MESH user research framework, i.e., the principles, policies and processes that guide how we conduct user research at MESH.
- Research, develop, test, and adopt a range of research methods and tools – with a strong focus on qualitative research – that can best serve MESH in achieving its user research objectives and generate valuable user insight, in the specific context of MESH target audience (young, informal sector). Ensure that MESH is always up to date with new user research trends and tools, that are particularly relevant to MESH context, in order to continually improve the value of the user insight we generate.
- Manage the user research cycle: validate research objectives, develop hypotheses, select appropriate methods, and design tools, conduct the research, synthesize findings and turn them into insights.
- Disseminate user research findings with the rest of the product team and contribute to product design.
- Organize and conduct user tests (concept/usability tests) to test prototypes with users to generate users’ feedback loops.
- Champion a user-centred culture in the MESH team, organize workshops and other relevant initiatives for the team to learn more about the valuable role of user research in product design, latest user research trends and tools, best practices, case studies etc.
WHY JOIN US?
Do you want to be part of a young start-up, and work in a lean, dynamic, and creative team? Do you love rolling up your sleeves, spending time with users on the ground and unlocking invaluable user insight that will contribute to building a star product? Do you want to be part of the early journey of building a truly innovative product for young micro-entrepreneurs? Do you care about impacting the lives of hundreds of thousands of young people in Kenya and beyond? You are user-obsessed and want to champion a user-centred culture in a young product team? This role is for you!
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (human and social sciences, economics, business management, qualitative research). A master’s degree will be a strong advantage.
- At least six (6) years professional experience in qualitative research or similar roles that have involved a significant component of qualitative research in Kenya including time spent in the field/in user-facing roles.
- Experience working directly with MESH target audience and/or ability to demonstrate a strong understanding of this audience, i.e., young Kenyans (18–35 year olds) in the informal sector who are managing multiple hustles and are trying to start/grow their micro-business.
- Fluency in English, Swahili, and Sheng.
- Strong empathy, communication, facilitation and people skills. Have the ability to create great rapport and relationships with users and establish a comfortable, trustworthy and secure environment for users to confidently share their feedback (user problems, needs, goals, motivations, frustrations), in relation to their micro-business and MESH as a solution.
- Specific experience as User researcher/UX researcher in the context of a product team and strong experience with user-centred design is preferred.
- Performance-driven with super-hero work ethic, ability to work in autonomy, take initiative and deliver on time.
- Start-up experience and/or experience working in small, lean teams, with a get-it-done attitude and comfortable with change
Apply below by 16th June 2022.
Shujaaz Inc is an equal opportunity employer.