Senior Communications Consultant
- 6 Oct 2021
We are Shujaaz Inc, a network of social ventures based in Nairobi, Kenya. Our social ventures inspire, entertain and mobilise 9.5m young people across East Africa, engaging 71% of 15-24-year-olds in Kenya, and 15% in Tanzania. Our Emmy-award winning team of 60 young East Africans run our three social ventures:
- Shujaaz, our multimedia youth platform and East-Africa’s biggest youth brand
- Hustla MBA, our innovative peer-to-peer training venture
- MESH, an online community for entrepreneurs, launched in beta in 2021
Our network connects young people with the information, skills and opportunities they need to take control; embedding them in a digital and real-world community that gives them the self-belief they need to succeed, in their context and on their terms.
Everything we do is grounded in research; our in-house research team, our unique GroundTruth research techniques ensure that we understand what’s really going on for young people in East Africa.
Since launching in 2009, we’ve proven that when young people take control of their lives, they create transformational change. Our network of social ventures creates internationally recognised impact; digital fans in our network earn $21 more a month and are 43% more likely to use condoms than non-fans. Similarly, urban teenage girls in our network are 2.4x more likely to delay childbirth, and 2.7x less likely to marry in their teens than non-fans.
In January 2020, we re-launched under the new brand ‘Shujaaz Inc’ and set up a small but ambitious new communications team.
Over the last 18 months, we have set up a new comms function, launched a new thought-leadership strategy and invested in publishing a series of ambitious research briefs in response to the Covid-19 pandemic. Our ‘Covid-19 Barometer + Compass’ series have been regularly used by national and international stakeholders. The series of research briefs and accompanying campaign activities have provided vital ‘live’ data insights to help inform and shape policy and programme design in Kenya and given young people a new platform to share their experiences, insights and ideas directly with decision-makers. They have also helped to generate additional funding for new research streams and programming at Shujaaz Inc.
At Shujaaz Inc, we believe our communications campaigns and thought-leadership assets can be powerful tools to help break down vital ‘structural’ barriers facing young people in East Africa today – that have previously been beyond the scope of our existing programming and the reach of our ventures.
After a successful first 18-months under our new brand, we’re working to scale our communications team and set ambitious new goals for harnessing our platform, research and insights to break down barriers for young people across East Africa.
About the Role
We’re seeking to appoint a Senior Communications Consultant for an initial 6-month period, with the intention to formalise into a full-time role in 2022. The role will largely work virtually based on our hybrid working model, the role can be fulfilled flexibly 3-4 days a week, around consultant availability.
The Senior Communications Consultant will work closely with the Head of Strategic Communications, Communications Co-ordinator and a range of external creative consultants to help power all elements of our ambitious communications function.
The role will be designed and refined around the expertise and experience of the consultant, but focused areas of responsibilities are likely to be:
Growing our Brand Platform, Amplifying Youth Voices
- Developing and driving a focused strategy for growing Shujaaz Inc’s owned corporate communications platform (our social media pages, newsletter and website), and support with the on-boarding and management of an external PR agency or press consultant to help us reach the right audiences.
- Growing our brand platform is crucial to ensuring we’re able to better amplify the voices and experiences of the 9.5m young people in our network; and ensuring their voices are heard by decision-makers.
Managing our Campaigns, Breaking Down Barriers
- Providing holistic strategic and project management support to the Head of Strategic Communications for the design and delivery of our flagship thought leadership campaigns.
- Working with the support of our Comms Co-ordinator to project manage external agencies, creatives and experts and co-ordinating with our in-house research team to ensure the smooth delivery of high impact thought leadership campaigns.
- Working alongside our Comms Co-ordinator to create and develop effective campaign content including blogs, new stories, power point presentations and social media assets. Our thought leadership campaigns are designed to amplifying the experiences and ideas of young people to key decision-makers – helping to break down the structural barriers that are standing in their way.
Who you are
The communications team at Shujaaz Inc is small and high performing, we’re looking to work with communications specialists who are passionate about the power of communications to drive measurable social change.
It is also a new and flexible department – we’re looking to hear ideas about how we can harness our communications function to break down social and economic barriers for young people in new, creative ways.
We seek an individual with the below skills and attributes:
- Commitment to driving social change through strategic communications and alignment to our organisational values
- At least 2-3 years’ experience in a communications role at an NGO/non-profit or for-profit mission-driven organisation or other relevant field such as a communications, PR or digital agency, campaigning or journalism.
- Demonstrable experience of using communications to drive social change or achieve a social mission
- Advanced social media and/or marketing experience and evidence of increasing reach and engagement rates of digital marketing platforms
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills
- Evidence of strong copywriting skills, confidence developing high-quality written assets for example, blogs, press releases and social media posts
- Evidence of excellent project and relationship management skills, and the ability to co-ordinate with multiple external and internal stakeholders
- Professional, enthusiastic, entrepreneurial, ‘can do’ attitude.
- Ability to work effectively in a team and individually, at pace and across multiple different projects concurrently.
- Experience working in media relations and using InDesign, WordPress and Premier Pro all an advantage
Interested in applying? Submit your CV and cover letter by Friday 22 October. We look forward to hearing from you.