Research Communications Lead
- 22 Jan 2021
We are Shujaaz Inc, a network of social ventures based in Nairobi, Kenya. We believe this generation of young people can transform our global society for the better – that’s why we work to break down barriers so that young people can take control of the future.
At Shujaaz Inc, we believe that young people hold the solutions to overcoming the barriers they face – not us; we design and build our ventures from the ground-up alongside our fans. That means we’re in a constant conversation with young people. We receive over 14,500 SMS messages every week and our social team manage live streams and monitor social conversations on our digital platforms 24/7. Our rigorous annual nationally representative youth surveys, long-term longitudinal panels and big data analyses ensure we understand the big picture, long-term trends too.
About The Role
The Research Communications Lead is a new role, that will sit at the heart of our dynamic ‘Knowledge and Learning’ (K&L) team.
Our Knowledge and Learning team are responsible for ensuring that everything we do is grounded in high-quality research; from the content we produce across our multi-media platform, to how we track and report our impact.
Our K&L team are also committed to sharing our insights with like-minded organisations and key influencers. Last year, we launched our ‘Covid-19 Barometer + Compass’ series, in response to the pandemic. This series of research briefs has provided vital ‘live’ data insights to help inform and shape policy and programme design in Kenya and given young people a new platform to share their experiences, insights and ideas directly with decision-makers.
Reporting to the Head of Knowledge and Learning, the new Research Communications Lead will play a crucial role in increasing the reach and impact of our research activities. The Research Communications Lead will effectively analyse, interpret, translate and distil our complex research findings into a language, format and context that is relevant, accessible and impactful for our internal team and our external partners and network.
Key responsibilities include:
- Research communications strategy
- Work closely with the Head of K&L, to capture, analyse and share Shujaaz Inc’s unique research to help break down the structural barriers that are preventing young people in East Africa from taking control of their lives.
- Research current local and global trends / thematic issues to inform reports prepared, conduct theoretical and historic desk reviews
- Reporting Impact & Insights to Internal Shujaaz Inc Team
- Provide additional quality control and insights for reporting on-going programme impact & research insights to the Shujaaz Inc team, to improve & inform existing campaign strategies etc.
- Update, improve and re-write as necessary research reports, briefs and other analytical pieces as they come in from the research team – to inform on-going programming and partner communications
- Reporting Impact & Insights to Existing Shujaaz Inc Partners and Programme Leaders
- Write first drafts reports and research briefs for review by the Head of K&L for Shujaaz partners and allies, etc.
- Support the Head of Strategic Communications, by generating and interpreting data, insights and draft research assets for our external communication campaigns
- Collaborate with the research team to ensure scientific meaning and uniformly high standards are preserved in communications for our partners and wider audiences
- Reporting Impact, Insights & Thought Leadership for Shujaaz Inc External Communications Campaigns
- Responsible for developing and assuring quality control of first draft research communications assets (incl. reports, thought leadership pieces, blogs) that persuasively presents and analyses our data and insights for review by the Head of Strategic Communications in accessible jargon-free language
- Apply consistent editorial and brand standards regarding style and format across all our communications
- Prepare presentations and participate in information dissemination activities at Shujaaz Inc events, round tables, conferences, webinars and similar research, academia and/or media gatherings
Qualifications and skills
- A degree in Social Sciences or equivalent, excellent writing skills
- At least 3 years’ experience in research communications, interpreting quantitative and qualitative data and communicating findings for non-research audience. Experience in writing journalistic materials and blogs is an added advantage.
- Excellent report writing skills for consumption by a broad range of stakeholders from academia to government officials and non-technical audience
- Good knowledge of Quantitative and Qualitative research.
- Proficiency in data interpretation, interrogation and analysis
- Good public speaking skills and ability to present, explain and interpret data or analysis to non-technical audiences.
Interested in applying? Submit your CV, cover letter and samples of written work. We look forward to hearing from you.