HEAD OF BRAND & MEDIA: SHUJAAZ
- 30 Jan 2023
Shujaaz Inc’s founding belief is that young people can transform society for the better.
That’s why we break down barriers so that young people can take control of the future.
We do this through our media for social change platform, Shujaaz.
Shujaaz is a two times International Emmy award-winning multi-media youth brand reaching
over 7m young people across Kenya and Tanzania, engaging them with stories and content
that entertains, validates and inspires them to take control of their futures.
Over the past 10 years Shujaaz has built an engaged audience of millions, which is key to our
mission of delivering transformation at scale. Our trusted media brand & powerful
storytelling creates meaningful impact with the youth who engage with it and our continuous
research & insights give us the information we need to authentically connect with our
However, we know that Shujaaz has the potential to drive even deeper population-level
impact for young people by building on our core assets:
- A trusted, recognised brand
- Award-winning storytelling
- Established multi-platform channels
- An active network of on-ground young community influencers
- 10 years of data & insights
Shujaaz is therefore looking for an extremely strategic, creative, proactive and ambitious
Head of Brand & Media with a passion for storytelling and multi-media campaigns. Your
work will be guided by an overarching goal – to make Shujaaz the go-to media brand for
young people in Kenya & Tanzania.
Shujaaz’s Head of Brand & Media will join an experienced Senior Leadership Team who are
committed to realising our ambitious goal of being a globally recognised media for social
change venture that consistently delivers value to its audience and partners.
You will lead and develop our amazing team of in-house & consultant creatives; writers,
producers, artists, designers, events managers and social media community managers to
create and deliver culturally relevant, captivating stories about everyday heroes across
multiple platforms that cause an impact and recognition in East Africa and beyond.
The Head of Brand & Media role spans converting insights about our audience into dramatic
stories across multiple platforms, overseeing rigorous production schedules (you know that
creativity cannot thrive unless operations are structured and clear to everyone involved),
providing creative direction to in-house and consultant creatives, as well as team
management and growth.
So, what does this look like in detail?
THE SHUJAAZ BRAND & STORY GUARDIAN
- Maximise the Shujaaz experience by instilling the Shujaaz brand into all media products
including fictional stories, new social media content formats and on-ground events and
ensuring the Shujaaz brand evolves and develops to remain aspirational and relevant to
its youthful fan base
- Oversee the design and production of a cutting-edge fictional drama that lives online and
is amplified by creative formats online, on-ground events & screenings, in comics and
- Conduct brainstorming sessions with the creative team, maintaining strategic and
creative thinking to develop innovative and actionable creative initiatives in a fiscally
- Review and approve all media outputs developed by the team, ensuring they effectively
meet the brand, programmatic and contract deliverables
- In collaboration with the Shujaaz Knowledge & Learning team, you will analyse brand
tracking, market trends, consumer need, and the competitive landscape
THE AUDIENCE CHAMPION
- Ensure all media campaigns leverage Shujaaz’s unique insights and wealth of data to
maximise relevance, authenticity, and impact
- Create a seamless customer journey through all the Shujaaz media channels providing
cohesion and synergies to maximise the audience experience, with a specific focus on
driving analogue users to engage deeper with our stories and campaigns online
- Create tailored offers for current and new Shujaaz fans to create ongoing stickiness and
- Keep up to date with cultural trends and media consumption (channels & content formats) locally and globally to ensure Shujaaz remains cutting-edge and is the go-to brand for young people
THE DIGITAL VISIONARY
- With support from a digital consultant, oversee the design and implementation of an
exciting new digital strategy for Shujaaz’s online audience that brings the brand love,
reach and impact of our proven analogue media, to a new, massive online audience
- Develop a communications campaign to promote & drive traffic to new Shujaaz digital
platforms, ensuring that the combination of platforms extends our reach and the
engagement & participation of the audience
- Continue to evolve our digital offer by keeping up with global and local youth trends and
ensuring Shujaaz is always ahead of the curve, meeting young people where they go
THE HIGH-PERFORMING LEADER
- You will build, supervise and grow a cross-functional team (in-house and consultant) of
writers, graphic designers, social media experts, photographers/videographers and
grassroot network managers in the strategic development of campaigns and media
- You will lead a team of creatives, helping them professionalise their creative skills as well
as their soft skills and understanding of creative workflow and operations
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR?
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, sociology, marketing, journalism, design and other
- Minimum 10 years of creative direction experience in a media, agency or corporate
- Proven experience creating and delivering integrated media campaigns across multi-channels including social media, print, SMS and offline.
- Experience creating and managing complex media production schedules and budgets
with experience in project management.
- Highly skilled in leading, growing and upskilling a team of creative talent.
- Confidence in written and spoken Swahili, Sheng and English
If interested, please apply for this job to firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- Your CV
- A cover letter about why you are the Head of Brand & Media Shujaaz needs
Deadline: 3rd February 2023
Shujaaz Inc is an equal opportunity employer and we’re committed to creating an inclusive,
welcoming environment for anyone who wants to work at Shujaaz Inc. We believe that for
creativity to flourish, everything about how we work must have diversity at its core. If you have a
disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know and we will do
everything we can to accommodate.
Shujaaz Inc considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, religion or belief, sex,
age, national origin, marital status, gender identity, physical or mental disability. We believe in
creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion and strives to recruit a
diverse slate of candidates to help us achieve that goal