Head of Partnerships and Programmes
- 17 Sep 2020
Shujaaz Inc is a network of social ventures based in Nairobi and Dar Es Salaam. Our ventures inspire, entertain and mobilise 7.5 million 15-24-year-olds across East Africa. Our network connects young people with the information, skills and resources they need to take control; embedding them in a digital and real-world community that gives them the self-belief to succeed, in their context and on their terms.
About the Role
We are poised to scale and grow evidence-based impact across the Continent in the next decade. A critical part of our mission is to bring on board an experienced, versatile and strategic Head of Partnerships & Programmes. Reporting to our Managing Director, this position will secure and communicate new assignments won; design and execute robust delivery models with clear success indicators; surprise and delight clients with measurable value to grow our ongoing partnerships.
This role will nurture and lead a team of project managers to effectively execute complex assignments remotely for a diverse client base – traditional donors, commercial partners, and social investors. Internally, the role holder will work in a post COVID- 19 “new normal” world to organize the team for the dynamic “often unpredictable” demand of our media campaigns. Externally, this person will use their networks to pull together capacity and resources for large projects quickly.
You have a deep affinity for and commitment to our core values; living “Player First” to place young people at the heart of change, challenging conventions that help them overcome barriers, no judgement – deliberately creating safe spaces for young people to excel and look further to see beyond young people’s situations.
In your first six months, having understood how to leverage key learnings from our young people engagement successes in the last decade, you will steward a vibrant, creative, and diverse team towards our ambitious 2030 target – serving over 1 billion people living in Africa under the age of 30. Together, you will enhance client partners’ experiences to increase value that retains key accounts; open up and land new opportunities; strengthen the delivery of existing programmes and build a culture of excellence that breaks “business as usual” barriers in helping young Africans take control of their future.
Your strong programming knowledge, deep understanding of systemic change and extensive experience working with young people in African urban and rural development contexts will be essential to deliver our promise of large-scale behaviour changes. You also understand what it means to motivate teams, work in a thriving multi-cultural global environment and can offer us unique perspectives on working innovatively.
Who we are Looking For
Reporting to the Managing Director of Shujaaz Inc, you will be a senior member of our East Africa management team supporting the organization across various functions including Partnerships and External Representation, Programmes, Performance Management, Operations, HR and Business Development.
We are looking for an exceptional person who can demonstrate:
- Natural leadership with the ability to build, inspire and develop a team especially through a period of rapid change. Our agile account management structure is a new model and requires a hands-on individual to guide and oversee our programme outcomes. Having entrepreneurial skills and sensitivity to the impact of change on others will be vital for success.
- Strong strategic thinking that is responsive to both tactical and long-term opportunities as you work with our internal team (Knowledge & Learning, Media Production, Finance and Networks). Your flair for designing programmes that positions our brand to deliver sustainable and systemic change for young people will be an asset.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication and negotiation skills as a partnership builder who identifies and creates alignment between us and external stakeholders to develop mutually rewarding relationships. You can easily work with the CEO, Managing Director and internal teams to craft compelling proposals and reports for our donors while also being highly articulate in representing the organisation at events.
- Systems thinking that shows an understanding of project detail and efficiency in organizing teams to work with structure that delivers scalable results.
- A can-do attitude with the ability to create plans and budgets that unlock cost-efficiencies. You are resilient, naturally curious and always seeking new, more efficient ways of working to deliver increasing value to our donors and to young people.
- A deep commitment to empower young people that aligns with our purpose to break down barriers that stand in their way – even when this means challenging convention. Like us, you are driven by passion for our work, are prepared to listen to young people without judgement and really understand their context and experiences, so these values translate to greater impact for our Programmes